Tea Thyme // A 5 Step Planning Starter KitJanuary 12, 2021
Tea Thyme // Money Saving Tips for the Budget Conscious CoupleJanuary 26, 2021
We get it – choosing your bridal party is a BIG deal and there are a lot of factors to consider! We’re giving you permission to take your time with this. Don’t worry about following any “rules” but do consider these factors before proposing to your bridesmaids and groomsmen.
When it comes to size..
Here are a few questions to ask yourself when deciding on the number of people to include:
- What does our budget allow? Keep in mind there will most likely be a cost associated with each person in the party (think gifts, lunch on the day of, and possibly hair or makeup).
- What does our ceremony space allow? The size of your venue may dictate the number of people who can stand by your side. Of course, there is also the option of having them sit during the ceremony.
- How important is symmetry to us? Do you envision an equal amount of women and men standing with you at the alter or in pictures? It’s completely fine if you don’t!
Often times, couples choose a size that is proportionate to their guest count. When in doubt, we recommend going smaller!
When it comes to who..
You may want to contemplate the following before formally asking anyone to help you tie the knot:
- Family Versus Friends? When it comes to family, who are you closest with? When it comes to friends, who do you think will still be in your life 5 – 10 years from now?
- Children Versus Adults Only? Are there any children that you’re super close with or that hold a special place in you life? If no, don’t feel obligated to include any. If yes, feel free to include as many or as few as you want as flower girls, ring bearers or junior bridesmaids/groomsmen!
To help you further narrow it down, give some thought to how different personalities will mesh as well as who will be able to accommodate your expectations. Remember, you’ll likely be spending a lot of time with this group over the next year.
- Limiting Hurt Feelings – This one can be a tricky. It’s a huge honor to be chosen for a bridal party so you’ll want to be sensitive to that. If you’re unable to include someone, consider inviting him or her to a related event such as the bach party. Another idea is to ask that person to help with other wedding-related responsibilities such as planning tasks or ushering guests.
- Giving Titles – Bridesman, groomslady, man of honor, best woman – don’t feel obligated to stick with traditional titles or even use titles at all. And certainly don’t feel the pressure to choose just one head man or woman!
As we always say, it’s YOUR day. Spend it beside those who mean the most.
We’ll be wrapping up our “big picture” month with a blog on money saving tips! Check back around this thyme next Tuesday to find out more.